Do you know that wrinkles, sunburn, pimples and hives are all related. They’re all caused by skin inflammation, part of the body’s natural defense mechanism. But they can wreak havoc on your skin and make you look…gasp….older. Technically skin inflammation is the immune system’s response to infection, injury or irritation, but when it comes out as a pimple it doesn’t seem quite fair.
So can you fight skin inflammation and have blemish free skin? Yes you can – here’s a rundown on how you can fight it.
1. Drop the Pounds – excess weight may be a sign of inflammation. Losing weight has been shown to reduce skin inflammation
2. Eat and Wear Antioxidants – antioxidants protect from free radicals which can trigger skin inflammation. Try a product with reseveratrol, which is found in red grapes and red wine
3. Manage stress – Stress can stoke skin inflammation so find ways to manage it, whether it’s a walk in the park, yoga or a 5 minute cat nap in your car.
4. Avoid allergens – do you really know what triggers your allergies – pets, dust mites, sometimes even preservatives and fragrances. So watch what you breathe, wear and do to prevent an allergic reaction causing a skin inflammation flareup.
5. Quit smoking – Smoking increases skin inflammation by generating free radicals, which the body tries to fight triggering an skin breakout. So for yet another reason, quit smoking. And smokers, since second hand smoke has the same effect
6. Get a Little sun – Just a bit. A small amount of sun forces the body to produce skin inflammation fighting vitamin D. All you need is 10 minutes, about three times a week on your face, neck and arms to get that you need.
Here’s a rundown on products that treat skin inflammation:
Dr. Andrew Weil for Orgins Mega Mushroom Skin Relief Serum – the blend is formulated to repair and treat redness
Dr. Brandt Blemishes No More Redness Relief – great for sensitive acne prone skin with pumpkin seed extract to prevent skin inflammation